The most important terms in equine dentistry
Horse dentistry treatments are as diverse as they are for humans. These are the most important terms and services offered by the team at HIPPUS:
- Preventive dentistry: to maintain the integrity of the tooth function, including oral hygiene procedures, advice and instruction on preventative hygiene treatments, fissure control.
- Periodontics: treatment of diseases of gums and other tooth supporting tissues, including tartar removal, scaling and polishing of teeth.
- Endodontics: Diseases of the nerve of the tooth.
- Orthodontics: occlusal equilibration, including adjustments of incisor and molar geometry to alleviate excessive pressures on individual teeth, promoting efficient contact and movement, optimal articulation of the Tempro-Mandibular Joint (T.M.J.).
- Occlusal Restoration: removal of blockages, including high teeth, ramps, hooks, wave mouth geometrics etc... allowing jaw and facial muscles to relax, promoting efficient movements.
- Oral surgery: tooth extractions, wolf teeth, milk teeth, deceased, diseased, fractured, broken teeth.
- Geometrical balance: is paramount to the head of the horse therefore effecting the whole body balance.